Friday, August 3, 2012

Vintage Dresser Facelift

Hello there! Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine today, I know I am! I can't get enough of my first Washington summer, it's amazing. 

Lets get down to business: Once I reassessed the furniture in my garage waiting for makeovers, I came across a dresser. This piece is truly a gem to me. It originally sat in the guest bedroom of my grandparents house, which brings back an endless amount memories. I'm not one usually comfortable with change when it comes to nostalgic pieces, but this dresser needed some work.



 I began brainstorming about colors, and after countless paint supply stores and searching, I narrowed it down to Valspar Swim, which is a very bright turquoise color. Bringing that paint can home completely alarmed my boyfriend, and he was even more alarmed after the first coat (after sanding & primer of course!)
Yes, I do look quite glamorous when I paint. ;)

Pretty bright huh? Stick with me.

After a few coats and some brown translucent glaze, I ended up with a gorgeous aged looking turquoise; the rich dark brown, the bright turquoise, it looked wonderful.

But then...
The protective coat happened.

I've used this same protective coat many times, even over this same glaze but for some reason, the glaze ended up looking splotchy, and almost seemed to be brushing away during the process. And if any of ya'll are wondering, I most definitely waited the allotted week for the glaze to dry, so I'm a little stumped on this one.



 



Look at that side! Ugh, insert sad face here. :(

So. Although I am not 100% pleased with the result, it will do for now. Luckily, I enjoy doing this more than almost anything else, so I have no problem starting over at some point...just not today. 

If any of you out there have tips, tricks, or any feedback, let me know. I'd love to hear from you! :)

Still growing & learning,
Sierra




1 comment: