Wednesday, October 12, 2011

White Walls, Colorful Rooms

With the possibility of Ryan & I moving to Washington becoming more & more of a reality, it got me thinking about interior design (shocker; it seems like that's always on my mind). Those who know me well, know that I started my post high school life pursuing a career in interior design. I decided to change my career path, but not for a lack of passion for the field. I just felt I needed to be in a profession that had more financial stability & job security. Anywhoo, thinking about moving from sunny California to not-so-sunny Washington reminded me of how I learned that interiors can alter a persons mood, health, & overall well-being. 

Off topic: I always wondered why there wasn't more funds directed towards interior design in hospitals. That's the place where uplifting design is needed most, so why is it seen as unimportant? If we use cool colors and muted tones in a spa to give clients a sedative and calming effect to enhance their experience, why wouldn't we direct color theory & design towards people who are sick & dying? Just sayin'...

Alright, back on topic.

I've heard from quite a few friends who have made the move & adjustment to Washington, & their chief complaint is the sunshine, or lack there of for about 4-5 months out of the year. I can see how difficult that could be coming from a state that really doesn't have clearly defined seasons. We find ourselves spoiled, and at times complaining when the temperatures drop below 50 & when we have rain for more than 3 days...What amateurs! ;)

This brings me to my point: a light bulb went off in my head today. If we're going to be making an adjustment to the climate change & the "lack of sun," then creating a sunny & colorful environment inside will make a huge difference! I'm focusing on white walls, since ideally I will be moving into a townhouse/condo or apartment where I may not be able to enhance my home with a touch of paint. Which will only lead me to get creative! So here are a few pictures of inspiring & colorful rooms! 
Photographer Roger Davies




Let me know what you think, I love feedback & bouncing ideas around.
-Sierra


2 comments:

  1. I love the yellow! I have a tendency to draw to warm colors like oranges and yellows though. The thing that I especially like about the first room posted was that the wall hangings provide so much color to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like having wall hangings large in scale to a room almost give the effect of it being painted! I like the yellows too, reminds me of sunshine & bright light! :)

    ReplyDelete